Friday, January 16, 2015

Author's Note for Picture Book


Sexism is prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination against women because of their gender. The Muslim/ Islamic religion practices many sexist rules and actions. For example, girls are not allowed to play outside like boys are allowed to do. Women are not allowed to talk back to men. And one of the most sexist and discriminating one of all is the fact that women are not allowed to go to school and get an education like men do. According to the Integrated Regional Information Networks of the United Nations, 87 percent of Afghan women are illiterate.
Even though I am a Muslim and part of the Islamic religion, I have been going to school for 8 years and will continue to attend school all through college. I have dreams to become successful and establish a job and way of life. I see myself  as an independent woman and no rule of my religion or any religion will stop me from having a future. I will not be part of a statistic of illiterate women I will not become dependent on male like most female in the Islamic religion are.
Despite the plight of most women, there has been a rising of equality in education in Afghanistan. Feminist Majority Foundation have stated that “50% of the students and 60% of the teachers in Afghanistan were women and 50% of government workers and 40% of doctors are now women.” I am happy to report these improvements and hope that soon all women are granted an education and can escape the plight of the sexist rules preventing them from getting what is rightfully theirs. It is every person’s right, whether male nor female, that an education is given.

No comments:

Post a Comment